S/V Shawnigan: Stevens ’40 (Sparkman and Stephens design)
Photo by Geoff Bryne
Vessel Name: “SHAWNIGAN”
Model: 40’ STEVENS 40 center cockpit cutter
Builder: STEVENS Yachts, Queen Long Yard, Taiwan, R.O.C.
Designer: Sparkman & Stephens
Year Built: 1982
LOA: 40’ 7” LWL: 31’ 4” Beam: 12’ 6” Draft: 6.75’
Displacement: 24,000 # Ballast: 8,000#, internal in fiberglass fin
Power: VolvoPenta 40
Equipment: – Wheel steering, autopilot, Aries Wind Vein
– Complete new set of sails including mainsail, 90% and 135% hank-on headsails, staysail and trysail
– ICOM IC-M80 VHF radio, RAYTHEON RL70 radar, B & G depth sounder, GARMIN 176 GPS/plotter, AIS receiver and transponder
– Safety equipment: ground tackle (manual anchor windlass, new 65# MANTUS anchor and 350′ hi-tensile G4 american made chain, 45# ROCNA anchor, 35# danforth), life raft, ditch kit, medical supplies/first aid kit, EPIRB, life harnesses and jack lines, life jackets. IridiumGo! Sat Phone through PredictWind
-5HP Nissan Outboard and a 10′ Montgomery nesting dingy. 2 Kayaks and dare I mention 10 surf boards!
– New over sized standing rigging and turnbuckles in 2012
– custom hard dodger
– Two 55 W solar panels, mounted on aft pulpit, + 300W solar semi-flexible panels mounted on dodger, KISS wind generator.
-ENGLE fridge/freezer X2 (one of freezer mode as a drop in model)
This STEVENS 40 is a production fiberglass sailboat designed by the famed Sparkman & Stephens and built in Taiwan in the early eighties. Only 10 boats were built under this brand between 1982 and 1984 until the boatyard Queen Long Marine Shipbuilding became in 1984 the exclusive builder of the well-known HYLAS Yachts. The STEVENS 40 and 47 are very similar to the HYLAS on many levels: solidly built, sea-kindly hull designed for blue water cruising, center cockpit layout and high-quality teak interior.
Pingback: updated “OUR BOAT” details! | A Family Afloat
Looks like your having a blast!! Hope you are enjoying your amazing, extraordinary and inspiring adventure!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hi! I just found your blog via Caroline at https://rollinwithcaroline.wordpress.com/.
I was interested in your boat. We have a Sparkman and Stevens boat too! Fandancer was built in Ontario in 1973, a Northstar40 ketch. I like your photos, very similar interior to ours. We currently live aboard and sail in Greece. I have a blog at http://georgiemoon2026.wordpress.com and includes a couple of posts about how we renovated her, with photos. Good luck with your travels!
LikeLiked by 1 person